Sunday 23 January 2011

This time it’s personal

So I am around half way through the first week of the first cycle of three (or possibly four) of chemo, with the possibility of radio therapy to follow – if you say it quickly, it doesn't sound so bad….Open-mouthed smile

I have had a look back over the most recent set of posts and realised that I haven’t mentioned the drugs I am privileged enough to be receiving (I mean that, all you Americans – the NHS is great).

I am receiving a GemCis combination – Gemcitabine and Cisplatin. For those of you with long memories, (or the facility to scroll down the page) you will notice the similarity of drugs to last time – Capecitabine and Oxaliplatin, and with that similarity in names you will see a similarity in symptoms and side effects.

Both of these are administered as a drip. This means that I have a single day treatment at the Edinburgh Cancer Centre at the Western General. It is an all-day stint, starting in the morning. It starts with a bag of saline solution (1 hour) followed by some steroids. This is closely followed by the first of the Chemo drugs – Gemcitabine. by this time i have had three cups of tea and am ready to go to the toilet – which I am doing more frequently anyway – so I end up taking my pump and drugs for a walk to the toilet with me.

After this I have another saline (or glucose – can’t remember) drip, which takes 2 hours. I have no idea why that one takes so long. After that there is the second chemo drug – Cisplatin. The two chemo drugs take about 15 minutes each and there is about 5 hours of saline/glucose/flushing going on around about them – but someone brings you tea and biscuits so it isn’t all bad.

I have the same anti-sickness drugs and (more) steroids as last time, for three days, to take the edge off the chemo.

Now, of course, I remember that the steroids do really strange things to my sleeping – wide away at 4 am on Thursday morning, and when I do get to sleep, the dreams can be weird and wonderful – maybe just weird though. After that the drugs do kind of take control and it isn’t so bad, although I don’t remember being so tired last time so quickly.

I finished the first round of chemo/steroids/anti-sickness yesterday – and yesterday evening was not much fun. Neither was today at church. The meeting hall was very warm and I kept getting worried glances from Katie (on my left) and Helen (on my right) about the colour I was going – they were obviously worried about my catching an infection, so I can’t complain too much though.

My sense of taste has also been affected. I constantly have a yeuck taste in my mouth and can only taste stronger food – I had fruit salad for breakfast and could only taste the pineapple, although apparently grapefruit also tastes normal. Orange juice on the other hand is just foul. Surprisingly, my sense of smell has been unaffected, Anyone who drives through or lives close to the west end of Edinburgh will not forget the malt smell from the brewery – that was just as fragrant as ever today.

So it is a waiting game again until Wednesday, when I get to go through it all again. I will see how I get on tomorrow at work (yes I am still trying to work, at least part time anyway).

I have just realised that I get to have chemo on my birthday this year (16th of February, if you want to send a presie) – maybe if I play my cards right I will get a second birthday, like the Queen or Paddington, later on in the year – maybe in April, since no-one else in the family has a birthday that month.

 

Enough – off to watch the telly now.

Gob bless

Graham

p.s. oh yes, I have been constipated too (sorry, just had to throw that in)Sick smile

p.p.s Happy 18th birthday to Sean

No comments: