Wednesday 13 August 2008

First treatment

Yesterday was my first chemo treatment at SJH. Helen and I arrived at about 10.00 yesterday and went down to the chemo unit. Don't remember if I have desctibed the unit - small but perfectly formed.

The unit is buzzer controlled and leads in to a comfortable waiting area, with a tv, internet, small kitchen and settees. We arrived and were given a seat and a cup of tea while I completed more paperwork. I was also given some anti-sickness pills. After about 10 minutes we were called though to the treatment area, along with about four other patients. The patients get given comfortable seats and the partners (most people had brought partners to wait with them) get normal chairs.

I was hooked up to the drip and the first one they gave me was a glucose drip - not sure why, but there you go. That lasted about 10 minutes and them they hooked up the Ox (see previous posts for full details of Ox). That takes about two hours to drip through and finally they gave me another glucose drip to flush every last drop into my system.

They kept feeding us with cups of tea, so much so that I had to get up and go to the toilet half way though, as my bladder was about to burst. All the drip machines have batteries so it is just a matter of unplugging and wheeling the stand along the corridor.

While I sat with the drip my arm was wrapped up in an electric blanket - for the full two hours, a bit odd really - to keep me warm. As the drip dripped, it felt as if my arm was filling up. By the end of it my arm felt quite odd - stiff, slightly sore and very sensitive to the cold.

After the second glucose drip we were given a large bag of drugs to take home, including the Capecitabine (the other chemo drug) and three different anti sickness drugs.

For those of you who are interested I have Granisetron and Dexamethasone to take on the day I have the Ox drip, more Dexamethasone (different dosage) to take for the three days after the drip and Domperidone to take as and when.

I am on 2000mg of the capecitabine twice a day, four lovely peach coloured tablets (I am not sure that the colour has any effect, but there you go) to be taken just after a meal, twelve hours apart - they are quite strict about that. I have to have this tice a day for fourteen days for 8 cycles. Now that works out as 224 doses and I have had my first (not that I am counting).

We left the unit at about 1.15 and drove home. Helen suggested that I drive as she would not be around for any of the other treatments (she started work today - not a happy bunny), so I drove home very gingerly, but safely. I also was wearing a pair of ski gloves and a scarf, so I was looking a bit of a pillock, standing in the entrance of SJH getting my parking ticket wearing my ski jacket and gloves and a woolly scarf - the reason I was dressed like this is described below. For those of you that I see, I will probably be wearing this sort of get-up for the couple of days after the OX drip, every third week, wednesday to friday, whenever I go outside.

Touching things is odd. One of the main side effects of the Ox is the sensitivity to cold. If I touch almost anything colder than my body, even at ambient air temperature for more than a second or two I get pings and needles in my fingers and hands. The effects appear within about two or three seconds, but dissappear just as quickly after I let go. They say that I should not go into the fridge (I did sneak in for some mik to go in my tea though).

The effects are most noticable if I tough metal, although I have noticed it touching other things too. This, along with tiredness, was the main simptom that I felt yesterday. I am not as tired today and the pins and needles are not as bad today either. The reason for the scarf is that the drug affects the nerves - hence the pins and needles, and can affect the nerves in the throat - leading to the sensation of my throat closing up and wheezing. The fix for this is to keep warm - hence scarf and gloves - drink something warm - hence the three cups of tea at the hospital - and get out of the cold.

I had a dentists appointment today, and braved the outside world, walking down to the surgery. I took my scarf, but didn't need it. I was fine walking, although the weather today is not too bad (the sun is out!)

So that was my first chemo dose. I have to go back for a one-off appointment next week, for them to check that I have not had any drastic side efects, but that should be a five minute job and I am free now for three weeks - appart form the hundreds of pills I am taking every day.

I will try to keep you up to date as I go along.

God bless,

Graham

1 comment:

yvonne said...

Hi Graham and Helen,

I have just caught up with your blog and want to say tnat Ian and myself will be praying for a swift and complete recovery for you.

I remember so clearly Stonleigh 2001 when you made the decision to up sticks and return to Scotland to help support Kings Church Edinburgh. You had such faith at that time that everything such as a new home and work would fall into place. We pray that you will have the same faith for a positive outcome with this particular challenge.

Much love to you all,

Yvonne and Ian Housby (ex Bracknell, now residing in North Yorkshire)