Saturday 23 August 2008

Return of Count Dracula

I guess the headline from this week is that I am still here J

Actually that is not true – the headline from this week is that Dave and Libby (from Kings Church) got married. I just form a sub-plot of that, and that is the way it should be too, but more of that later.

So, anyway, the last time we met I had just survived my first dose of chemo. This was the Oxaliplatin drip, with the tingling fingers. I have to say that for that Tuesday afternoon I felt pretty grotty, and lay about on the settee feeling a bit sorry for myself. The next morning was my first dose of Capecitabine (maybe I did mention it last time). I don't think I had too many symptoms, after all. Obviously for the first couple of days I was taking some pretty powerful anti-sickness pills (although you wouldn't think so from the size of them). I was able to go to work every morning, although I do go home at lunchtime (and then log on remotely!) I have been getting tired in the afternoon and evening and my mouth does taste a bit goppy, kind of metallic – not quite bad enough to need more anti-sickness, but contributing to a general low-level grot (that is twice I have used the word grot or grotty and I will try not to repeat my self anymore).

As I mentioned, the highlight of the weekend was a trip down to Newcastle for the wedding of Dave Hill and Libby Cant. Dave works for Kings Church Edinburgh and is one of the nicest and most genuine blokes I know. Libby is just lovely and they couldn't be better for each other. Libby comes from Newcastle, so we went down there for the wedding. We decided to stay overnight and booked into a Travelodge. It wasn't posh, but then we only slept in the room.

We left at about 9.30 and I drove down the A1, listening to crackly Radio 5 Live and the coverage of the Beijing Olympics and the fantastic Super Saturday golden streak (four gold medals and a clutch of silver and bronze). We checked in to the hotel (six of us sneaking in to one room), switched on the telly and watched the reruns of the golds while we got changed.

The wedding was lovely. The church was nicely decorated and the service was really nice. Matthew Clifton-Brown prayed for the new couple and Dan Hudson spoke during the service.

After the service everyone went to the local Memorial Hall where there was some food – really nice, just as you get there without having to hang around for ages while the photos were taken. The speeches were not too long or boring – in fact they were very good, and I now have a lot to live up to! – but I suppose that I have several chances to get it right.

There was more delicious food as the evening carried on, with a Ceilidh band providing the music. I managed to have one pint, and danced twice – after that I was exhausted. We left at the end and made our way back to the hotel. We all crashed out and apart from Becky (who had to sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag) slept till morning. In the morning there were more golds in Beijing and breakfast with Errol and Michelle Minnot in the Little Chef. We left and started northwards. We stopped off at Holy Isle, which is one of my favourite places. It is so peaceful and tranquil. I have always fancied staying there, just to see what it is like when the tide is in and the island is cut off.

We spent an hour or so there before going back over to the mainland. We stopped just in the mainland side of the causeway as the tide was due to come in.

If you have never been there when the tide is coming in, it is worth while doing so. The sea comes in so fast – the sand is very flat and it is easy to get caught out on the sand – Claire and Angie almost managed it, and there were a couple of people further out!

There is also always one car trying to get across at the last minute, driving across the road as the tide comes in. Sure enough, one car came back with its wheels under the water – Errol has pictures. As they drove past the crowds on the road the driver and passengers looked very sheepish. J

The journey back to Edinburgh was uneventful and we got back just at teatime.

The Hospital had asked me to go in for a quick check-up a week after the first treatment. This is the only time they need to see me, just to make sure that I am not having any seriously adverse reaction to the drugs.

I went in on Tuesday, and they immediately stuck a needle in me and proceeded to take pints of blood from me. They went through a list of symptoms and checked that I was ok. They seemed surprised that I only had the pins and needles for 48 hours. Everything seems to be ok and they sent me home with a cup of tea – in fact they offer you a cup of tea as soon as you walk through the door, even before I had seen any of the medical staff – they did the same last week, so I guess that is the way they work down there.

There is a lovely lady called Agnes, who volunteers there every Tuesday. She is a member of East Calder Church and brings in home-made cakes and stuff for patients and staff – this is lovely and just shows how much people care.

So, after a week and a half of drugs, I am doing ok. I get tired in the afternoon, particularly if I push it during the morning. I am ok if I finish by lunch time, but one day this week I stayed on till around 2.30 and I felt it later that day.

This has taken me a long time to write – I stared it much earlier this week, and I apologise for the delay. I am slightly surprised but very pleased that people are reading this to keep up to date – it is quite humbling actually.

I will post another entry soon – about Helens first week at work as a teacher.

Thanks

Graham

1 comment:

Simon Benham said...

I'm loving the blog Graham, a great way to keep in touch with how things are going with you all. Be assured lots of people here at Kerith are praying for you.

Talking of Holy Island when I lived in Northumberland I once slept the night there illegaly in a tent behind a stone wall! I think the excitement of being cut off was exceeded by the terror of what might happen if we were caught, and what the scout leaders who thought we were somewhere completely diferent would say - happy days :-)

Simon.