Monday 11 August 2008

Silence is golden

I have been away from my computer for four whole days – four days!

With our three older children away at Newday (they had a great time by the way) and one of our wonderful friends taking Katie away for us, we were left completely alone – I can't remember the last time we had three nights on our own – about sixteen and a half years ago I think. Anyway, we took the chance to slip away. We went to the Norton House Hotel, just outside the centre of Edinburgh. We spent the afternoon in the pool at the hotel. They had a very nice pool, along with a sauna and steam room. We had our meal at The Apartment in (doesn't have a website!?!) which was excellent although I thought the portions could be bigger.

I had Sea Bass with Saffron Roast Potatoes, with a rather nice chardonnay, followed by the cheese board. I am finding, as I get older, that I am choosing a sweet much less often and cheese more so. A piece of good cheese along with homemade oatcakes is much more satisfying.

We spent the next day in the pool again. It was good to swim again, although I suspect that I may have pulled a couple of muscles in my stomach. We had just left the pool and ordered lunch when we received a text from Becky saying that they would be back in twenty minutes – we were not expecting them to get back until that evening. We rushed our lunch (Helen burnt her mouth) and raced round the bypass to meet them, only to find that they were not due back for another hour – grrrrr – then they turned up two minutes later :-O

So now our house is full again, with the kids back from their various holiday excursions, and we are all – including Helen – are getting ready for school next week.

More soon….

No comments: